A creative juice bar, as it were...

Welcome to the C-Force! This is a forum designed to inspire and foster creativity by creating accountability. The participants exchange creative assignments, whether of art, prose, poetry, or music, and a deadline is associated to ensure that the assignment is finished.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Clouds

I totally nailed this assignment. A day early, too! I'm pretty satisfied with the results here.

CLOUDS

FIRST VERSE (contemplative, melancholy):
Late, late one night
I found myself staring at the stars.
Wondering, thinking,
How could I ever get so far?

(hum)

I’m sure it can be done,
There’s got to be some way.
I’m starting on the path;
I will make it someday.

(hum)

FIRST CHORUS INTRO:
I can’t find a road
So I’ll have to walk.
No place with a bed,
I’m sleeping on the rocks.
Don’t know the way
But there ain’t no guide.
The doubts are coming now
But I’m pushing them aside

FIRST CHORUS:
I’m reaching for the stars,
And I don’t care
If anyone tells me
That I’ll only grab air.

Reaching for the stars
I’m gonna get there.
No one can tell me
That I’ll only grab air.

SECOND VERSE (driven, serious):
So here I am now,
Getting closer every day.
Every mile I rise
Sends my fears a mile further away.

(hum?)

Not too much left to go;
With this I’ll show them all.
But I didn’t plan
For what happens if I fall.

(hum?)

SECOND CHORUS INTRO
No, this cannot be:
I’m losing my grip!
Got along so well
And now I have to slip?
I made it so far up
Why must I go down?
I don’t want this to happen;
I don’t want to hit the ground!

SECOND CHORUS:
I reached for the stars,
And that was where
I found out they were right:
I only grabbed air.

Reaching for the stars
My failure was bound.
That made it hurt worse
When I hit the ground.

LAST VERSE (content, faster):
Laying on my back,
I opened up my eyes.
Up there I hadn’t noticed
The beauty of the skies.

I took a deep breath
Thankful to have survived.
Here on the ground, I see
What a gift to be alive.

LAST CHORUS INTRO:
What goes up
Must come down.
Should I have always
Stayed on the ground?
The goal was too far,
Doomed from the first,
But not knowing if I could
Would still have been worse.

LAST CHORUS:
Reaching for the stars,
I came to see
A new perspective,
A different part of me.

I reached for the stars
And that was how
I finally managed
To touch the clouds.


If you can guess what specific event inspired it, you get a pizza. Otherwise, I'll never tell (at least, not soon).
I have most of the song composed, but not quite enough to put chords with the lyrics here. I'll tell you now that every two lines of the verse generally cycle through G F C C, the humming part is Em D A, and at least the first two intros alternate by line between Am and A major with a sharp fifth (Aaug, maybe?). I'm not so certain about the last intro or the chorus yet. There is potential for a harmonica, which would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment